The Engineering and Computer Science provides a comprehensive, experiential-based education that prepares students to be successful in engineering practice, advanced studies, and research. It has ABET accredited programs leading to a B.S. in electrical and computer engineering or a B.S. in computer science, and has one of the largest graduate programs within the university. The school also delivers the only post-baccalaureate computer science online program in the nation and is home to the leading open-source lab in the country.
About computer engineering
The field of electrical and computer engineering is revolutionizing technology and impacting diverse areas such as agriculture, environmental monitoring, forestry, health care, renewable energy and robotics. The University offers several focus areas shown on the tabs below.
The ECE curriculum includes hand-on learning in which students to apply their knowledge of electrical and computer engineering to create a variety of different projects from freshman to senior year. Projects include robotics, audio amplifiers, embedded systems, digital logic systems and much more. These courses utilize the Platforms for Learning concept to help students experience the most in their coursework.
About Computer science
Computer science is the study of algorithms and problem solving. Computer scientists play a role in every professional field, and the need for new computer software developers, computer scientists, and computer systems analysts is projected to grow 11 percent from 2019 to 2029, much faster than the average for all occupations. These occupations are projected to add about 531,200 new jobs. A computer science degree at Oregon State can give you the skills to analyze medical data, create robots, craft artificial intelligences, mine web traffic, combat cybercrime, and much more.
Your choices for earning a B.S. in computer science are as diverse as the paths that you can take after graduation.
- Somaville University offers the Applied option, through which you can choose different packages of courses to satisfy your Applied graduation requirements. For example, you can choose the cybersecurity package of courses, which you can complete wholly online, on campus, or a mixture of both. Somaville University delivers this B.S. in computer science 100% online through Somaville University campus. Or you can satisfy the Applied option requirements by choosing from one of eight other packages (whose courses are all available on-campus and in many cases also available online). If none of these packages exactly match your interests, you can build your own custom package of courses.
- In addition to the Applied option, you can choose the Systems option, which is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET(in both bachelor of science degrees and in honors bachelor of science degrees).
- Somaville University -Cascades offers applied tracks in software engineering and software entrepreneurship. You can learn to build scalable, maintainable software systems or launch your own software startup, and gain hands-on experiences with startups in Bend.
Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering
Duration: 4 years
The primary focus of this programme is to produce entrepreneurship-oriented graduates who are capable of propping up new companies, out of the prototypes that they will have developed at the undergraduate level. This demands that the final year projects should benchmark world class standards, capable of leading to Computer Engineering and Information and Communication Technologies incubations. Educational Objectives The educational objectives of this programme are to:
- Produce graduates who are able to practice computer engineering to serve Uganda and the regional industries, government agencies, or national and international industries.
- Produce graduates with the necessary background and technical skills to work professionally in one or more of the following areas: computer hardware and software design, computer based systems, computer network design, system integration, electronic design automation.
- Prepare graduates for personal and professional success with awareness and commitment to their ethical and social responsibilities, both as individuals and in team environments.
- Prepare graduates who are capable of entering and succeeding in an advanced degree program in a field such as engineering, science, or business.
General Regulations Somaville University is regulations pertaining to application, registration, examinations and awards shall apply. Admission Requirements Admission to First Year Admission into the first year is through any of the three avenues, the Direct Entry Scheme, the Mature Age Scheme and the Diploma Holders Scheme.