Languages —

Wednesday, April 2, 2025

More

    German Nurse Kidnapped in Somalia Issues Heartbreaking Plea After Seven Years in Captivity

    Share This Post
    Facebook  
    
    Twitter  
    
    Instagram   
    
    Somali Magazine - People's Magazine

    A German nurse who was abducted in Somalia in 2018 has released a new video pleading for her life and calling on the German government to take urgent action to secure her release. Sonja Nientiet, who was kidnapped from the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) compound in Mogadishu nearly seven years ago, appeared visibly distressed and physically deteriorated in the footage shared on social media.

    Speaking in English with a noticeable German accent, Nientiet described her dire condition and begged for help. “My health is getting worse. What keeps me going is the hope of one day seeing my family again,” she said, wiping away tears as she struggled to remain composed. Her emotional appeal comes amid growing concerns about her well-being and the worsening security situation in Somalia, where militant attacks have intensified in recent months.

    Nientiet was abducted on May 3, 2018, through a back entrance of the ICRC compound. Somali authorities later said the kidnapping was orchestrated by a former employee, suggesting it was an inside job. Very little information about her has surfaced in the years since, with this video marking only the second time she has been seen publicly since her abduction.

    The ICRC, which has been working behind the scenes for her release, expressed cautious optimism in response to the video. Spokesman Christian Cardon stated, “This video gives hope for her release. The ICRC will continue to work tirelessly, with all its influence, to bring her back safely.” He also stressed the organization’s deep concern over her health and well-being, but declined to provide further details about the ongoing negotiations in order to avoid jeopardizing the efforts.

    As a matter of policy, the German Foreign Ministry declined to comment on the case. Germany typically maintains strict confidentiality on hostage situations involving its citizens abroad, citing the safety of the individuals involved.

    Nientiet’s plight highlights the persistent dangers faced by humanitarian workers in Somalia, a country plagued by conflict, terrorism, and political instability. Her case has now resurfaced as the Somali government ramps up its military campaign against al-Shabab, the al-Qaeda-linked militant group that continues to control large swathes of territory in southern and central Somalia.

    Just last week, al-Shabab claimed responsibility for an attempted attack on President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud’s convoy, further underlining the group’s ongoing threat. The government has recently made territorial gains in Middle Shabelle and other regions, but attacks remain frequent and deadly.

    Somalia has long been considered one of the most dangerous places for foreign aid workers. The combination of extremist violence, fragile governance, and economic hardship has created an environment in which kidnappings and targeted attacks are common. Humanitarian organizations such as the ICRC operate under constant threat, despite their neutral status.

    Nientiet’s video serves as a stark reminder of the human toll behind these geopolitical struggles. Her voice trembled as she said, “This is a matter of life and death.” The haunting message has reignited calls for the international community to increase pressure on all parties to ensure the safe return of aid workers and to hold those responsible for such abductions accountable.

    As Nientiet’s loved ones wait for news, and the world watches, the urgency of her appeal remains clear. Behind the headlines and politics, a woman’s life hangs in the balance—seven years of captivity that must not be forgotten.

     

    Share This Post