Languages —

Thursday, February 19, 2026

More

    Kenya Foils Planned Terror Attack in Nairobi

    Share This Post
    Facebook
    
    Twitter (X)
    
    Instagram
    
    Somali Magazine - People's Magazine

    Kenya’s Counter Terrorism Policing Unit (CTPU) has announced that it successfully stopped a planned terror attack in Nairobi that was allegedly linked to suspected operatives of al‑Shabab. According to a statement released on February 18, the operation followed months of close surveillance and intelligence gathering aimed at tracking the movements, communication patterns, and support networks of the suspects.

    Security officials said investigators had been monitoring the group for an extended period, carefully piecing together information about their alleged activities and plans. Acting on credible intelligence, officers launched coordinated raids that led to the recovery of several weapons and materials believed to have been prepared for use in the capital. Among the items seized were assault rifles, pistols, explosive devices, and about 600 rounds of ammunition.

    Authorities stated that the recovered weapons were intended for an attack within Nairobi. In its statement, the CTPU said that attempts by al-Shabab to carry out a deadly assault in the city had once again been prevented. Officials described the operation as a significant success in ongoing efforts to protect residents and maintain stability in the country.

    Preliminary investigations suggest that the suspects were allegedly planning to carry out the attack during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, a period when many people gather for prayers and celebrations. Security agencies believe the timing may have been chosen to maximize impact and fear. Intelligence reports also indicate that the group may have been considering other criminal activities alongside the planned attack. These reportedly included kidnapping foreign nationals and hijacking vehicles, actions that could have further threatened public safety and harmed Kenya’s economy and international reputation.

    Investigators revealed that parts of the network were allegedly connected to operations within the Dadaab refugee complex in eastern Kenya. The Dadaab camps, which host thousands of refugees, have previously been flagged by authorities as vulnerable to infiltration by extremist elements. However, officials emphasized that security operations target criminal suspects and not the wider refugee population. The arms and ammunition recovered during the raids were believed to have been destined for targets in Nairobi.

    Following the operation, security agencies have increased patrols across key areas of the capital. Checkpoints have been reinforced, and surveillance efforts intensified to ensure that any remaining threats are quickly detected and neutralized. Authorities reassured the public that Nairobi remains secure due to sustained counterterrorism efforts and strong coordination among security agencies.

    Kenya has faced repeated threats from al-Shabab over the past decade. The Somalia-based militant group, which is linked to al-Qaida, has carried out several attacks targeting civilians, security forces, and infrastructure in Kenya. These incidents have ranged from assaults on public spaces to attacks on security installations, often aimed at pressuring Kenya over its military involvement in Somalia.

    Despite these challenges, Kenyan authorities say they remain committed to preventing terrorism and safeguarding the country. The latest operation highlights the role of intelligence-led policing and inter-agency collaboration in stopping attacks before they occur. Officials have urged members of the public to remain vigilant and report any suspicious activity, stressing that community cooperation is a key part of national security.

    Share This Post