Languages —

Friday, April 4, 2025

More

    South Korean Fighter Jets Accidentally Drop Bombs on Civilian Area, Injuring 15

    Share This Post
    Facebook  
    
    Twitter  
    
    Instagram   
    
    Somali Magazine - People's Magazine

    Military Apologizes for Training Mishap as Investigations Begin; North Korea Condemns Joint U.S.-South Korea Drills

    SEOUL, March 6 (UPI) – Two South Korean KF-16 fighter jets mistakenly dropped eight bombs on a residential area outside Seoul during a training exercise, injuring at least 15 people, the South Korean air force reported on Thursday.

    The incident occurred around 10 a.m. in Pocheon, a city about 16 miles south of the border with North Korea. The bombs, identified as MK-82 conventional bombs, were supposed to be dropped in a designated training area. However, due to an error, they fell into a civilian zone, causing significant damage.

    Fire officials reported that 13 people suffered minor injuries, while two individuals were seriously hurt. Several buildings were damaged, including a church and seven other structures. Emergency response teams quickly arrived at the scene to provide medical assistance and assess the damage. Authorities reassured the public that all necessary steps would be taken to prevent such accidents in the future.

    The South Korean air force issued an official apology, expressing deep regret for the mistake and the harm caused to civilians. “We apologize for the civilian casualties caused by this accident and hope for the speedy recovery of the injured. We will also implement all necessary measures, including compensation for damages,” the statement said.

    A spokesperson from Seoul’s Joint Chiefs of Staff later provided further details, explaining that each of the two fighter jets had mistakenly released four bombs. The mistake happened because one of the pilots entered incorrect coordinates for the bombing target, leading to the bombs falling outside the intended firing range.

    As a result of the accident, the military has decided to suspend all live-fire training exercises until they determine exactly what went wrong. Investigators are now working to understand the technical and human errors that led to the incident, and measures will be put in place to prevent a similar occurrence in the future.

    Earlier that same day, before the accident, the South Korean Defense Ministry had announced that South Korea and the United States were conducting joint live-fire drills at the Seungjin Fire Training Field in Pocheon. These drills were meant to prepare for the annual Freedom Shield joint military exercise, which is scheduled to take place next week.

    The Freedom Shield exercise is set to last for 11 days, running from Monday to March 20. It will involve both computer-simulated drills and real-life field training exercises. According to a joint statement released by both militaries, the drills will strengthen their ability to work together and respond to threats across multiple domains, including land, sea, air, cyber, and space.

    The statement emphasized the importance of these exercises in adapting to modern threats and evolving military tactics. “By incorporating realistic threats and lessons from recent conflicts, as well as analyzing the evolving military strategy and capabilities of North Korea, our alliance will continue to strengthen its readiness and defense posture,” the statement said.

    North Korea has consistently condemned these military drills, viewing them as preparations for an invasion. The North often responds to such exercises with aggressive rhetoric and military actions, including missile tests.

    On Tuesday, Kim Yo Jong, the influential sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, issued a warning in response to the joint military drills. She stated that the presence of U.S. military forces in the region would compel North Korea to expand its nuclear arsenal and take more aggressive military actions.

    North Korea has been increasing its military cooperation with Russia in recent months, raising concerns among South Korea, the U.S., and their allies. The growing ties between Pyongyang and Moscow could have serious implications for regional stability, particularly as North Korea continues to develop its nuclear and missile capabilities.

    The situation remains tense as South Korea investigates the bombing mistake and prepares for the upcoming military exercises with the United States. Military officials are under pressure to ensure such incidents do not happen again and to reassure the public that safety measures will be strengthened.

    This accident highlights the risks associated with live-fire drills, particularly when they are conducted near civilian areas. While the South Korean government has pledged compensation for those affected, many residents are expressing concerns about the safety of future military exercises. Some local officials have called for stricter safety protocols and better oversight to prevent similar incidents.

    As South Korea and the U.S. move forward with their planned military exercises, tensions with North Korea are likely to remain high. Pyongyang’s response to the Freedom Shield drills will be closely watched, especially given its recent warnings and military activities.

    For now, South Korean authorities are focused on addressing the aftermath of the accidental bombing, supporting the injured, and ensuring that proper safety measures are enforced in future military operations.

     

    Share This Post